Friday, April 27, 2018

A Surprise From Dennis

Some of you may know (if you follow me on Twitter and saw) that I lost my job last week.  Not that I NEED to, but since I did, I've not bought anything since.  So, it was really nice to see an envelope from Dennis of Too Many Verlanders and Too Many Manninghams in my mailbox the other day. 

2016 Panini Prestige #233 Wendell Smallwood
This is a great way to start!  I've slacked off on picking up Mountaineer cards the last couple of years and I can't even recall if I have a Wendell Smallwood card.  I might, but I might not.  He's pictured in his Mountaineer uniform, so I can handle the Eagles logo. 

2005 Topps Draft Picks & Prospects - Chrome Gold Refractors #158 Kay-Jay Harris 
I love these cards and this set.  It could be because there were three Mountaineers, I dunno.  These refractors are also more shiny than many, at least to my old eyes.  I dig them!  I'm also looking for the black refractors /25 if anyone has them hidden away in a closet!

2008 Playoff Prestige - NFL Draft #NFL-34 Steve Slaton
This one isn't just new to me, it's one that I don't recall ever seeing before.  You'd think that wouldn't happen, but with the amount of cards being produced these days...

2000 Quantum Leaf #342 Marc Bulger
There were some fantastic football card designs among the 2000 releases but this may have been my favorite one.  There were also red, green and purple numbered parallels, but this base is my favorite because it's blue.  It's not navy like the uniforms, but I can't nitpick. 

2007 Topps Draft Picks & Prospects - Senior Standout Jersey Combos #SSCR-MCM Rhema McKnight / Brandon Myles
Raise your hand if you've even heard of either of these guys. I didn't think so.  However, Hail, West Virginia! 

2012 Bowman Platinum - Prospects Purple Refractors #BPP15 Jedd Gyorko
This was certainly a pleasant surprise!  I don't actively go after Gyorko cards because there are just too many of them out there.  I will pick up any that I can at shows and through trades, though.  I had the base, refractor and red refractor, but this is one that I didn't have.  Thanks, Dennis!

2013-14 O-Pee-Chee - Rainbow #545 Cameron Schilling
This card shows how deeply into my "things I collect" list that Dennis dove.  I lived in Indianapolis for almost a decade and Schilling is one of the few NHLers that originate from there.  Hence, he became a PC.


1998-99 SP Authentic - Power Shift #93 Mike Maneluk
This is from my hockey "lost years" where I wasn't paying much attention or collecting.  It will go nicely into my Blackhawks binder and be the lone card of a guy that I'd never heard of.  I like it! 

1990-91 Pro Set #598 Ed Belfour
A Hall-of-Famer rookie that wasn't in my Blackhawks binder?  Yes, please!

2017 Topps - Rediscover Topps Stamped Buybacks Bronze #503 Al Newman 
Topps buybacks always make me happy!

2017 Bowman - Bowman Buybacks Gold #47 Henry Rodriguez 

2017 Bowman - Bowman Buybacks Bronze #122 Junior Felix 
I'd never given the Bowman buybacks any thought outside of any player collections that I might need them for.  Now that I have these, I'm thinking about considering them for my frankenset.  I love both of these Bowman designs and an inaugural year Marlins card would be a toughie to beat out to get into my set.  I think Dennis did more for me with these than he may have thought! 

Thanks, Dennis.  I'm sure I will find some things again for you soon! 

I've decided to try selling on Sports Card Direct again.  Hopefully you'll take a look at my page and see if there's anything you're interested in.  I can always sell off the site and ship in a PWE if you're only looking for a card or two and don't want to pay $3 shipping. 

If you shop online and haven't signed up and used ebates yet, you're missing out.  I also use it on eBay to get money back from purchases there.  Between referrals and cash back, I've gotten over $150 in a year.  FREE CARDS!  I have another $40+ going into my Paypal account in the next couple weeks. 

If you're on Twitter, please give me a follow.  You can also find me on Trading Card Database.  I love trading cards, when it makes sense.  Happy collecting!

1 comment:

  1. I can't stand Belfour... but that's a mighty fine rookie card of his. Long live early 90's Pro Set!

    ReplyDelete