Wednesday, May 2, 2018

T206 George Gibson -or- Facebook Fun

A couple of weeks ago I posted about a Net54 pickup and mentioned that there were a couple more to come.  My plan was to post them in the nest few days, but we all know what can happen to plans.  Today's post is just one card.  I picked it up a couple of days after I joined a tobacco card page on Facebook.  

I still consider myself new to T206s and since I don't have unlimited funds, I can't just buy anything that I come across.  Right now I look for very cheap beaters, good deals on very clean cards or other cards that I have a particular motivation to pick up.  

This card falls into the last group.  I picked it up because it's George Gibson and I love Richard's dedication to him.  Richard and I send messages back and forth on Net54 (though I'm HORRIBLE about replying), I enjoy seeing his collection and I love reading his blog, Moon Gibson.  

1909-11 The American Tobacco Company T206 White Border #NNO George Gibson 
According to the book "THE T206 COLLECTION The Players & Their Stories," Gibson was a player and manager for 21 years.  His bat was average, but he made his name defensively, developing young pitchers and for playing.  In 1909 he broke the record for consecutive games at 112 and the streak didn't end until 140 games.  He was the first baseball player elected into the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame and later was elected into the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame in 1987.  

Gibson is one of the tougher commons, per T206 Insider.  This is one that I've wanted for a few months, but haven't searched out.  This was the first one I'd seen come along (without searching). so the scarcity ranking of 86 makes sense to me.  

My monster number now stands at 28 (of 524).  On T206Insider, my set is now at 12.1, good for 48th.  You can find a gallery of what I have on my Collector Focus page.

If you'd like to learn more about the T206 set, there are plenty of resources.  A very popular one is Scot Reader's "Inside T206."  Others I like are Net 54 and T206 Insider (links above to both), as well as the blog on That T206 Life.

___________________________________________________________________________

I've decided to try selling on Sports Card Direct again.  Hopefully you'll take a look at my page and see if there's anything you're interested in.  I can always sell off the site and ship in a PWE if you're only looking for a card or two and don't want to pay $3 shipping.

If you shop online and haven't signed up and used ebates yet, you're missing out.  I also use it on eBay to get money back from purchases there.  Between referrals and cash back, I've gotten over $150 in a year.  FREE CARDS!  I have another $40+ going into my Paypal account in the next couple weeks.

If you're on Twitter, please give me a follow.  You can also find me on Trading Card Database.  I love trading cards, when it makes sense.  Happy collecting!

3 comments:

  1. SUCH a cool card. I don’t think there’s such a thing as an uninteresting T206. Great pick-up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 28 T206's? That's awesome! Keep chugging along.

    ReplyDelete