Saturday, September 23, 2017

The Mountaineer Mine #2 - Major Harris


2011 Press Pass Legends Saturday Signatures Platinum #SSMH Major Harris
WHO:  Major Harris

WHEN:  1987 - 1989

WHERE:  from Pittsburgh, PA

WHY (this card):  The only thing that made me consider a different card was the lack of the flying WV on the helmet.  It's blue, /25 and an on-card autograph.  I wish I still had my autograph from when he and three others signed autographs at a Cub Scout banquet.

LINK:  Major Harris: The Original Dual-Threat

LINK:  College Hall of Fame: WVU's Harris was 'The Man' in the late '80s

LINK:  A Storied History: 1988 WVU football team


HOW (is he remembered):  If you were a kid in the state of West Virginia in the late 1980s, Major Harris was probably your favorite football player.  He led the Mountaineers to an 11-0 record in 1988 and into the Fiesta Bowl against Notre Dame.  He was injured during the game and the Mountaineers lost 34-21.

Harris finished third in the Heisman Trophy voting in both 1988 and 1989.  He was named an All-American in 1989.  He was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2009.

I'll always remember Major for his performance against Penn State on October 29, 1988.  It was my first football game and by many is considered one of the greatest games in West Virginia history.  I remember it for how cold it was (the coldest I ever recall being) and "The Run" by Harris.  WVU defeated Penn State 51-30.  It is the only time that an opponent scored 50 points on a Joe Paterno Penn State team.



If you shop online and haven't signed up and used ebates yet, you're missing out.  I also use it on eBay to get money back from purchases there.  Between referrals and cash back, I've gotten over $100 in about seven months.  FREE CARDS!  If you're on Twitter, please give me a follow.  Happy collecting!

2 comments:

  1. I have family in West Virginia and I remember hearing about Major Harris and how he could walk on water. I also remember the day I happened to be driving south on I-79 on game day, and being stunned at the traffic heading into Morgantown. A great time to be a WVU fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He could probably run for governor in 2020 and win.

      Delete