Thursday, September 21, 2017

The Lost Post

I picked this up a few weeks ago at a card show, but with maildays and other posts, it's fallen through the cracks.  Plus, it was on the side table in the bedroom.  If any cards go there, they tend to go AWOL.  



I felt I was probably paying too much at $10 for this, but it is something different.  You don't see them every day.  Writing this post I decided to look on eBay and see what going rate is.  

I learned that this isn't a normal rack pack.  Those have 50 or so cards in them and look different.  I found this ended listing that lists it as a "grocery rack pack" and sold for $55.  It had a Joe Montana passing leaders card showing so I'm sure that bumped the price significantly.  It still made me feel better at spending $10.  This one doesn't have a star listed as showing and sold for $22.  Yeah, I'm pleased.  

This is the perfect example of why I don't understand collectors that prefer buying online to going to card shows.  I know there aren't shows everywhere.  I'm talking about ones that have the option of attending shows and choose not to.  This isn't something I'd have ever searched for, so I'd never have it.  Now, I do.  

If you shop online and haven't signed up and used ebates yet, you're missing out.  I also use it on eBay to get money back from purchases there.  Between referrals and cash back, I've gotten over $100 in about seven months.  FREE CARDS!  If you're on Twitter, please give me a follow.  Happy collecting!

6 comments:

  1. I miss card shows. I've told myself several times that I would start going to some of the bigger card shows in Pittsburgh, but still have not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice find! I wish I could go to the shows near me, but it's not an option at the moment. You never know what hidden gems you'll uncover at a card show. The last time I went to one I passed on a box of 97-98 Donruss Preferred for like $35. It was the end of the show and I was out of money, but damn...when am I gonna see that again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss the days of being able to find cards in grocery stores, or even Seven-11 in those "rack packs".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regarding the shows, I think it's all about what you collect. I've been to two card shows in the past year here in Pittsburgh and most of the pricing on pre-war cards was bonkers to what I could get things for online. All were overpriced compared to online prices - some less so and some much higher. I bought a few things but that was mostly because I drove an hour to get there and, after paying an admission fee, would have felt like an idiot not buying anything.

    I still enjoyed going, don't get me wrong. I liked getting out and talking to some dealers and I'd probably go again. Overall, had a good time. But as a primary venue to buy cards, fill holes in sets? Not really for me. I don't doubt that there are bargains to be had if you collect a wide range of stuff. But my focus is on earlier stuff so I'd have much more trouble trying to find a deal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And, by the way, your 1982 Topps football pack brought back memories. When I was a kid, I remembered the day I went into my LCS and made a trade with the owner. After going there for a few years, he trusted me enough to go back into his store room in the back to pull out a box of cards for him. He had shelves and shelves of all kinds of stuff but the thing I remember most was a 1982 Topps Football jumbo pack with a Ronnie Lott base rookie on the top. This was back in the pre-eBay days when that card would sell for about $30. As a 12-year old kid or whatever I was, I was shocked at all the stuff he had. But to this day, that's literally the only thing I remember back there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have picked that up in a heartbeat. 1982 Topps is my favorite football design from the 80's. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete