Saturday, January 14, 2017

My Day With the Cup #NHL100

Well it wasn't like this...

Or anything like this...

However, I did get see and get my picture taken with the Stanley Cup today.

Today the second greatest trophy in all of sport was in Dallas as a part of the NHL's Centennial Celebration.  The lady and I decided to go down to the AAC and check it out.  Never take for granted an opportunity like this because you never know when the opportunity will arise again.

In addition to seeing the Cup, there was a trailer that had some memorabilia and other displays.






























There were some cool things to see that unless I some day go to the Hockey Hall of Fame, I would never see in person.


I love the photo opportunity that the NHL provided with this.  If you notice, my (our?) last name is at the top where the name plate would be, along with a number of your choosing.  They put 65 for me (since I was wearing my Andrew Shaw sweater) and she chose 29 since our birthdays are both on January 29.  That's kind of a big deal to us!  I mean, how many couples do you know whose birthday is on the same day?



I may not have the prettiest form, but for someone that never played hockey I feel that I get some pretty damn good velocity and height on the puck (that was actually a ball).  I did play a good amount of sports as a kid and even played softball up until about three years ago, but I think this is the most sports-related thing the lady has ever seen me do.  


Philip Pritchard (@keeperofthecup) was there (obviously) and graciously took pictures with anyone that asked.  It's not a bad job that he has and it definitely has made him a celebrity.  









Anyway, on to the reason that we went...and there's nobody in the world that I'd rather have shared the experience with than this lady.  She's the best thing to ever happen to me.


It may not have been the greatest day of my life, but it was one that I will not forget until the good Lord starts taking my memories from me.

4 comments:

  1. What an incredible experience! Thank you for sharing it with us. My favorite part of the display is the old jerseys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing in person for the first time gave me an appreciation of why many folks call them "hockey sweaters" instead of "hockey jerseys," even though they are not actual sweaters these days.

      Delete
  2. Great collection of photos from your experience. The trailer looks fantastic; they really didn't hold back on the items and artifacts that they decided to showcase inside it. I was surprised to see how great it actually looked and the effort that they put into making it look like a mini version of the HHOF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comments. Any chance that you live close enough to an NHL city (that they haven't already visited) and will get a chance to see? We were spoiled a bit in that Texas isn't the biggest hockey area and it wasn't heavily attended. I can't even imagine what this might me like in Toronto!

      Delete