Monday, April 9, 2018

Box From 'Bama #7 - (12) 1996 Pinnacle Zenith #12 Bobby Allison Promo

I must confess that when I picked these up, I thought I might have found something special.  The Allison family is from Hueytown, AL and the shop that I picked these up from was about 30 minutes from there.  My hope was that it was something given away to area shops in limited quantity and perhaps there weren't a ton of them out there.

Bobby Allison is known as one of the best NASCAR drivers in history.  Since I was born in Birmingham, I've always been a fan of The Alabama Gang.  Later becoming an Indianapolis 500 fan and learning that he competed in 1973 and 1975 made me a bigger fan.

It turns out that the promo is at least somewhat common.  The image was already on Trading Card Database and three other members had it in their collection.  I was excited that I might be able to add to Billy's NASCAR collection, but he's someone that has a copy.

1996 Pinnacle Zenith #12 Bobby Allison Promo
Did you notice the ring in the lower left corner?  There is a jewel of some sort on the card, though I assume it's fake.  The cards are thicker in that area and they don't easily stack.

I'm not sure if those cards were actually inserted into packs (Billy?) and if they were, did Pinnacle protect the cards around it?  Did the company use decoys for packs that didn't contain one of these inserts?  I give Pinnacle credit, they weren't afraid to try something different.  Hindsight is always 20/20 and I wish I appreciated Pinnacle much more at the time.

1996 Pinnacle Zenith #12 Bobby Allison Promo (back)
If you shop online and haven't signed up and used ebates yet, you're missing out.  I also use it on eBay to get money back from purchases there.  Between referrals and cash back, I've gotten over $150 in a year.  FREE CARDS!

If you're on Twitter, please give me a follow.  You can also find me on Trading Card Database.  I love trading cards, when it makes sense.  Happy collecting!

3 comments:

  1. I believe the regular cards had a real diamond but these promos don't. I've never actually seen one of the pack issued inserts...I only did about two packs of 96 Zenith. Storing this card is a challenge. I make sure it's always on top of a stack. When I finish scanning everything and sort my collection back into sets it will be even harder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool card. I remember that hockey had a similar set... and football too. Pretty sure some of them came with real diamonds. I have a Jerry Rice promo (think it's called Action Packed Studs), but the diamond isn't real.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much does it go for if i have 1

    ReplyDelete