Saturday, January 20, 2018

Show Spoils

I wasn't going to make the hour drive to today's "local" card show.  At dinner with friends last night, my friend asked about if I was going to any shows soon.  I mentioned today's show and he said he wanted to go and would drive, so I figured 'what the hell?'  He isn't a collector but did collect a little as a kid and after chatting a few weeks ago, he was all about it.  It seems like he bought more cards for someone else than himself, but he did pick up a few Cowboys cards.  I don't know that he's a collector, but he wants to go to more shows.  We shall see...

If you saw my 2018 collecting goals, my big one was to spend less money this year.  Most of the way through January, I've done well.  I spend some money today, but nothing was more than $2.  A lot of it was stuff to list on Trading Card Database and/or trade with other bloggers.  I didn't spend too much on myself, which was a win in itself.  It's also easy to do when it's mostly the same sellers that you've seen a dozen times and you aren't into the newest products. 


All of these were out of a dime box.  I hadn't seen that seller before but this was all that I picked up.  I feel that my BWTP Secret Santa gift I gave was weak compared to some others, so I'm hoping that he needs a few of these.   Now that I look at it, most aren't Ginter.  Maybe not.  BOOOOOOOOO!!!

The cards in the next three pics were all a quarter.  It was a different seller that I hadn't seen before, so I was willing to spend time digging through the boxes. 



The cards above will go into my Trading Card Database inventory to trade.  The Bo Jackson Rated Rookie is all mine!  It should have been in the picture below with the other cards I'm keeping. 


I was excited when I saw the first buyback card.  I was hoping there's be many more, but four 1970s buybacks for a buck makes me happy! 

As I was about to leave the show, I saw a 1955 Bowman football card on the top of a dollar box.  I've been acquiring cards from this set over the last couple of years.  I went through the entire four-row box and pulled all 14 cards from the set that I came across.  I know there were some multiples but I wasn't concerned.  I also picked up a couple of Charley Conerly cards.  For whatever reason, I pick up cheap copies of cards of the former Marlboro Man. 



As soon as I finish this post, I'm going to start sheeting up the 1955 Bowman cards.  I officially consider myself working on the set.  I stopped at my LCS on the way home and bought the sheets to make it official. 


Each of these was $2 and all but one if for me.  I'm thrilled with all of them!  I really don't want to pick up any more cards of former Mountaineers in their NFL uniforms, but that Owen Schmitt card is really sweet looking with the green bored.  This picture does it no justice.  I couldn't pass up a Dwight Gooden jersey card with a pinstripe.  I have a handful of the "Piece of the Game" bat cards and like the 1955 Bowmans, was "acquiring" them while not really working on the set.  A few more of these and I'll be working on the set.  I would have purchased as many as he had at $2 a pop.

There you have it, the cards I picked up today.  I truly didn't think I'd buy anything, but I'm really happy with what I got and for how little I got it for. 

If you shop online and haven't signed up and used ebates yet, you're missing out.  I also use it on eBay to get money back from purchases there.  Between referrals and cash back, I've gotten over $150 in a year (including $15 back on one Black Friday purchase last week).  FREE CARDS!

If you're on Twitter, please give me a follow.  You can also find me on Trading Card Database.  I love trading cards, when it makes sense.  Happy collecting!

10 comments:

  1. Awesome vintage football, love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was walking away from vintage football other than working on my 55 All-American set, but I couldn't pass on those.

      Delete
  2. 1955 Bowman is a very attractive set, and should be a fun one for you to work on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that it's a set where I can get so many of them for a buck or less.

      Delete
  3. The green Topps Finest Eck is exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the second on from that set in my collection...I'm thinking I will buy any that I can find cheap and down the road, perhaps I will try to complete it.

      Delete
  4. I love that Piece of the Game bat set. It was one of the first game used sets I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice haul. Those 55 Bowmans are fantastic! And who would've thought that one day you'd be able to buy an 87D Bo Jackson rookie card for 25¢. Think about that Aaron Judge collectors.

    ReplyDelete