Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Marking Another Off the Most Wanted List

After picking up quite a few T206 cards in a short period of time, I knew it had been awhile since I purchased one.  As I sat down to write this, I discovered it has been four months.  How time flies.  It was well worth the wait because I was able to knock a card off the Most Wanted List.

My preference on T206 cards is to pick up ungraded ones.  I want to be able to put them into sheets.  They look great in them.  Last week there was a raw copy of this card up for auction on eBay.  I didn't win it, but then this one came available on Net54 for only $20 more than the auction ended at.

1909-11 T206 Scoops Carey
Scoops Carey attended my alma mater (West Virginia University) before playing professional baseball.  He played for Baltimore, Louisville and Washington during his four season in the major leagues.  Carey played in the minors for the final eight years of his career.  He is pictured here as a member of the Memphis Turtles of the Southern Association.

The Southern Leagues cards were printed in much shorter supply, bringing a higher price tag.  Unfortunately the three cards I'm most interested in (that aren't huge names) are all Southern Leaguers.  Woodie Thornton also attended my alma mater and Carlton Molesworth is the player pictured as a member of the Birmingham Barons (I was born in Birmingham).

The card cost me more than a blaster, but less than most modern hobby boxes.  I'll always appreciate this more than any "hit" I may get and this card is all but guaranteed to retain it's value.  That's a win-win.  It's the 14th T206 card in my collection.

If you shop online and haven't signed up and used ebates yet, you're missing out.  I also use it on eBay to get money back from purchases there.  Between referrals and cash back, I've gotten over $100 in about seven months.  FREE CARDS!  If you're on Twitter, please give me a follow.  Happy collecting!


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Anytime we're able to land a new T206 to our collection, it's a reason to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete