Sunday, February 19, 2017

My Favorite (Andrew Shaw) Card - Round Three

In this day and age of card collecting, it might be surprising that my favorite card in my player collection isn't a low numbered, autographed relic card.  I guess I'm different.

My favorite Andrew Shaw card is his Canvas Young Guns and Monday my third copy of it arrived.  When they come available, sellers tend to ask more than I'm willing to pay.  I'm not overpaying just because I want another copy of the card.  I didn't anticipate that I'd win this auction since the eBay seller is one that is notorious for shill bidding on their cards.  Lo and behold, I did win it at a price I'm happy with!

2011-12 Upper Deck Canvas #C232 Andrew Shaw

2011-12 Upper Deck Canvas #C232 Andrew Shaw (back)
It doesn't matter what other card comes out, this one will always be my favorite, and one copy in particular.  The card is Shaw's first NHL card.  He doesn't have a Young Guns card, just this copy.  Before it was even released, I had all of his previously released juniors cards

The 2011-12 Canvas Young Guns were one per every other box.  With 20 Canvas Young Guns in the set, odds of hitting any particular one are 1:60 boxes.  I bought one box at a card show and joked to the seller "It would be awesome if I could get the Andrew Shaw canvas."

You know where this is going, right?


This was in the second pack I opened from the box.  I still remember it like it was yesterday.  It was the second pack down, front right stack.  Is it the biggest hit of my life?  No.  However, it IS the second most (after my 1989 Billy Ripken) favorite one of my life.  This copy of this card will always be the favorite in my Andrew Shaw collection.

We can buy pretty much any card these days.  Opening a pack to find the one you want is even a better feeling.  It's a feeling that only a true COLLECTor understands.


I picked up a second copy from eBay at some point and drove from Indianapolis to Chicago one afternoon just to have him sign it (and some other items).  I eventually had it certified and graded to add something different to the collection.  I never imagined that it would come back at that grade.  It was just an added bonus.

LINK:  Adding to your Player Collection, without Adding
LINK:  My First Ever BGS Submission – The Results

If anyone out there ever wants to give me a gift, I will take on any copies of this card.  Or, if you have one you want to trade, I'll certainly try to work out a deal!

Happy collecting!

No comments:

Post a Comment