Monday, December 11, 2017

#UDRAK from That Sports Card Show and Upper Deck

Recently David Anton of Upper Deck was on the "That Sports Card Show" podcast talking about social media and a bit of ePack.  They gave away a few (ten, I believe) #UDRAK maildays and I was fortunate enough to be selected.  I saw tweets over the weekend that people had received them and I figured today was my day. 

Sure enough, when I returned to my desk from my Monday meeting, two envelopes (I will post the other tomorrow) were on it.  It doesn't matter if I'm at work, I always open bubble envelopes immediately. 


The winners were contacted on ePack (you had to have an ID to win) and asked what we collect.  I'm a Blackhawks guy and Upper Deck didn't disappoint.  I don't know all the details of the distribution, but a signed Tyler Motte oversized Young Guns is a very cool piece to add to my collection.  With the NHL Draft logo on it, I believe it was likely signed at the draft in Chicago this year. 

I'm not sure exactly what the Marvel piece is.  I will definitely give it to a friend for his son that's into the comic thing.  A highly underappreciated item that companies send sometimes are pens.  I work an office job and use them all the time.  I also keep track of mine and there's no doubt that I will use this one until it's out of ink. 

Finally, two packs of Series 1 were included.  So far I've only purchased two blasters but I do want to complete the set.  Hopefully inside is a handful of cards that I can use for my set. 


YOUNG GUNS!  They are 1:6 packs and I beat the odds here.  While I really wanted to pull an Alex DeBrincat, I need this one for my set, making it a win.  I also needed the Jakob Chychrun for my set.  I can't complain at 25% cards I needed in a pack that I paid nothing for!


Not only did I beat the odds in pack one with the Young Guns, there was a Paul Martin Clear Cut Parallel in my second pack.  Those are 1:72 packs and it's only the second one I've pulled from a pack.  I opened three boxes last season and got one, falling right at the odds.  In other good news, I needed the other seven cards for my set. 

Thank you for the contest and the cards, The Sports Card Show, David and Upper Deck.  While I may have some gripes time to time, I truly believe that none of the other card manufacturers comes anywhere close to taking care of their customers.  Upper Deck's social media presence has a lot to do with it.  You can disagree, it's just what I see.  The others could, and should, learn from Upper Deck.

If you shop online and haven't signed up and used ebates yet, you're missing out.  I also use it on eBay to get money back from purchases there.  Between referrals and cash back, I've gotten over $150 in a year (including $15 back on one Black Friday purchase last week).  FREE CARDS!  If you're on Twitter, please give me a follow.  Happy collecting!

7 comments:

  1. Yay free stuff! Definitely some cool prizes, and color me jealous that you got that Motte autograph! The other sports are missing out on Upper Deck, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed...I might collect some other sports if UD had a release. Maybe...

      Delete
  2. Kudos to UD for their random acts of kindness. They've hooked up a lot of collectors over the years with some really cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are certainly my favorite of all the companies. Each one has it's things it's good and bad at, but across the board I think UD is best to it's customers.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic!!!! #UDRAK are always awesome and I am pleased to see another awesome person hit one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome! Have you ever opened packs on Upper Deck ePack before? I know that they just came out with a new ePack that's all about Notre Dame. I opened some packs, and got some pretty nice insert cards. Please let me know if you've opened packs on Upper Deck ePack before.

    Thanks, and keep on collecting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have, and have had good success. Much better than I have with physical boxes. Last season I hit two Mathews Young Guns, a Mathews Young Guns Canvas, Laine and Marner YGs...

      Delete