Friday, December 29, 2017

A Set Builder's Friend

Set building is something I've gotten back into in the last year and I like to have them in binders.  I went more than a decade-long phase of not using binders and sheets.  A major frustration for me was that I couldn't use them for current modern day player collections because of new card thicknesses.  As I've gotten back into set building, that complication is no more. 

I don't like to actually sheet the sets up until they are completed or just a few cards from completed.  I have no idea what others do, but that's my thing. 

When I bought some Parkhurst blasters last week, I bought something along with them.  I had a few of these as a teen, but in one of the multiple card purges they left my possession.  Now that I'm back into set building, I'm thrilled to have one back.  I see a couple more in my future. 



In the cardboard set boxes, I dislike having to put space filler in an take it back out every time I add some cards.  The different sized compartments in this box help alleviate some of that annoyance.  Even leaving some empty space the cards don't move around too much.  For me, these are easily worth the $5 investment.  I'd prefer if the lid came completely off instead of being attached but at the price, you can't always get what you want.  

Does anyone else use these?  Maybe I'm the only grown collector that uses them.  Even if so, I have no shame in it.  

If you shop online and haven't signed up and used ebates yet, you're missing out.  I also use it on eBay to get money back from purchases there.  Between referrals and cash back, I've gotten over $150 in a year (including $15 back on one Black Friday purchase last week).  FREE CARDS!

If you're on Twitter, please give me a follow.  You can also find me on Trading Card Database.  I love trading cards, when it makes sense.  Happy collecting!

10 comments:

  1. Huh, I've never seen a card storage device like that before. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been using these forever. They used to make a bigger one where the cards stood on end, but I don't think they do anymore, I've not seen them for sale since probably the year 2000. I think I've shown a photo of one on Cardboard History in the past. With these you have to be careful with closing them because they have a little plastic brace on the inside of the lid that can damage the cards if you aren't careful. Don't ask how I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember those other ones as well. I'd like to find them, but since you said you've not seen them for more than 15 years I know not to waste time looking for them. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I have seen them a few times at the local Walmart stores. I wouldn't mind if they sold them for a bit more with assorted cards already in them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huh... I don't remember seeing anything like this before, but I'm also rarely at Walmart. Something like this could be helpful for a project I'm working on, I'll have to check these out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that I always see them, so don't be surprised if you have to look at a couple of stores before you find them. I just don't want anyone disappointed or frustrated.

      Delete
  5. I've gotten a few of these over the years as Fairfield repacks, but gave them away. Now I kinda wish I would've kept them. I like the idea of keeping sets I'm currently building in them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great idea. I will have to really think about switching to these.

    ReplyDelete