Sunday, October 15, 2017

Show Stuff

Sometimes plans don't work out the way you imagined.  Today I planned to make the 45-minute drive to Plano, pick up three cards from David and head back home.  I left with many more than three cards. 


David gave me a great price on a card I needed for the 1955 All-American set a few months ago.  I decided to pick up the rest of the ones he had.  I have a copy of the Larry Kelley already, but it's a graded one.  I honestly prefer raw cards anyway, so this one goes into the set.  I needed the Leo Nomellini, and this one is in fantastic shape.  I had a copy of the Beattie Feathers already, but this one is also in great shape and a significant upgrade. 

Not two minutes after I paid, I won the hourly door prize, which is a certificate to use with any seller.  So, I kept looking.  I ended up spending way more than I planned, but I'm not complaining.  I pulled cards out of the dollar box, including some I never thought I'd see in a dollar box. 


Six cards I needed for the 2001 Topps Heritage set that I'm passively working on. 


Two cards (on top) for my personal collection and three others I will list on Trading Card Database to trade. 


You're seeing that correctly, 47 cards from the 1952 baseball set.  Sure they are all in low grade, but at (less than) a dollar, I took every one in the box!  What a great starter lot to add to my collection, not that I will ever attempt the set.  I picked these up eight hours ago and the smile hasn't left my face yet.  It's the perfect example of why I love card shows.  I don't know that I'd ever find a lot like this on eBay and even if it existed, I'm never looking for 1952 Topps.  I just jumped on the opportunity to add these to my collection. 

If you shop online and haven't signed up and used ebates yet, you're missing out.  I also use it on eBay to get money back from purchases there.  Between referrals and cash back, I've gotten over $100 in about seven months.  FREE CARDS!  If you're on Twitter, please give me a follow.  Happy collecting!


6 comments:

  1. Wow! Congrats on finding all those 52's. There are a couple of decent names in there, and most of them don't look all that bad... especially for a $1 each.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forty-seven 1952 Topps cards? Now that's what I call a fine card show haul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's absolutely one of my greatest finds. Every one is in poor condition, but at that price (I did the math and they were 87 cents apiece), you can't pass them up if you truly love and know the hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome 52's! Did I see a "Peanuts" Lowery? And I love the name Beattie Feathers.

    ReplyDelete